Input Needed on Reopening the Church
A small group has joined me to discuss our plans for reopening the church for services. I am
thankful for their help. We have received a set of requirements from our bishop and have been
asked to provide a plan for how we will manage the reopening of the church to insure that we
take every possible precaution to keep people from contracting the Covid-19 disease if they
attend the church of the Transfiguration.
As we put together our plan, we have decided to obtain input from members of our congregation
to help us complete our work. We would like to know how many people will attend a church
service. So we have asked you to complete the attached questionnaire.
We start with this set of requirements:
- We must have fourteen days of declining Covid-19 cases in our county. I would say this means
- for both Maricopa and Pinal counties.
- Masks are required. Everyone who attends a service must wear a mask.
- Everyone must maintain social distancing rules, staying at least six feet away from others. We
- must stay apart for the Peace.
- If someone who attends service is found to have Covid-19 we will close the church for two
- The church will be limited to 25% of its capacity. We think that means no more than 35-40
- people will be able to attend any service. We may ask you to make a reservation for church.
- We will ask you to follow certain procedures for entering, exiting and receiving communion.
- There will be no congregational singing.
- There will be no coffee hour, large group gatherings, or events with food,
- Everyone who comes to church is asked to follow the direction of an usher or greeter.
I expect that many people will choose not to attend services in person at this time. I have
decided that we will either live stream the service or record the service for those who choose not
to attend in person. These services will be available on both Facebook and Youtube. Please
feel comfortable with that choice. We will also continue Zoom meeting for Compline every
weeknight as long as there is interest. And please do not come to church if you are ill.
Our team is working with a few assumptions for planning purposes. Our initial target date for
reopening is June 14th. We are planning to have two services on Sunday, one at 8:00 and one
at 10:00 or 10:30. We may have the first service in the Parish Hall so that we will have more
time to clean the building before it is used again. We will not offer communion at the service
until after we have a chance to experience what the service is like this way. When we have the
kinks worked out we will offer communion.
Now that you have some sense of what the service will be like, we would ask for your
assistance. You may complete this form and mail it, you may complete the form and email
May you be safe and healthy,
Father Bob Saik
Last modified on Monday, 01 June 2020 18:05
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.